Saturday, August 29, 2009

it's finished!

my first quilt is now completed. it has been washed and dried and it didn't fall apart. huzzah! the binding gave me a bit of an eye twitch and i surprised myself with some of the colorful language i was capable of, but it's done.

you may or may not notice that it seems shorter than the w.i.p photo i posted and that is because i forgot to allow for the extra amount of fabric when i sewed my patchwork strips on. it took me a minute to figure it out when i was making my 'quilt sandwich', why was my batting so small all of a sudden? i busted out the seam ripper and rotary cutter again and was back in action once i realized what i had done.


this is my one of my favorite japanese fabrics right now and it was the color inspiration for the whole quilt.

all in all it wasn't as scary or as hard as i thought it would be and i'm really happy with the end result. (in fact, i've even started another one, but those shots will have to wait for now). i'm catching a flight on tuesday to hand deliver this quilt to a new little fella i've been dying to meet! oh, and the giraffe is coming too.

14 comments:

janis nicolay said...

Kate, that's fantastic! You worried for nothing, though i can completely understand. I would like one, slightly larger please!!

kate said...

thanks janis!!!

rachel said...

congrats! It looks great.

Laural said...

Looks beautiful! I love the colour and fabric choices.

Claire said...

Congratulations... Beautiful work Kate! i love your fabric choice!
And thank you very much for your visit! It's a pleasure!

the southern hostess said...

It's amazing. I love the fabrics you used.

wendy said...

Hello! I just discovered your blog and absolutely love your work. The quilt is gorgeous.. I love the contrast of the brown trim.

kirsten said...

oh, kate....it turned out wonderful. i love it!

Anonymous said...

great quilt - are you going to sell them?

anabela / fieldguided said...

Wow, it's beautiful! You did an amazing job. I love the colours -- so soothing!

lesley said...

it's just beautiful, kate! i love it, super fabrics, modern and vintage look at the same time. i'm in awe! have fun meeting the little guy...

Robe said...

Absolutely beautiful Kate. Look forward to catching up soon!

jamaica said...

Oh, I love the colors and the mix of prints. Especially the red squiggles, so fab. Do you know what the name/mfr is of that one? I'd love to track some down for myself. Thanks!

jamaica

kate / tinywarbler said...

hi jamaica- the red squiggles is from "in the woods" by moda. i think it is an older print though, i got some on clearance.
thanks for the quilt love!