Monday, September 7, 2009

the second quilt


first off, let me say a huge thank you for all of the sweet comments about my first quilt! i really enjoy reading each comment and they mean so much to me. it can be really hard putting your work 'out there' and to have encouragement makes it a little easier.


having said that, here are a couple pics of my second quilt. like the first, i didn't use a pattern. perhaps i should have, because on this one i had a hard time making all of the squares line up perfectly. i'm not quite sure why, i was very careful while cutting and made sure each square was the same size. i'm pretty sure my seam allowance was the same too, so i don't know what went wrong. does anyone have a tip or trick for this part? am i the only one who can't get things to line up? maybe it is because i am so new to sewing. perhaps practice is the answer.


it wasn't driving me crazy though, and i decided to gift the quilt as planned anyway. while i can be a little bit of a perfectionist, i also appreciate that when things are handmade, they will not be perfect. i like to think that it adds charm. (i hope sweet baby scarlet and her parents agree with this....)

12 comments:

Claire said...

Oh, this second is my favourite! Amy Butler's fabrics... So beautiful! You're the champion of quilt now!

Kristy said...

I'm still fairly new to quilting myself but have found that some fabrics seem to stretched more than others as you sew and that measn they don't always line up.

goldendovedesign said...

I'm really enjoying seeing your quilts. Your mix of a few fun, bright colored prints contrasted with the crisp, clean whites are so fresh looking. I'm sure whoever receives them as gifts will love them!

claire said...

i have a trick. and it will only work if you are just free-styling it. i tend not to use patterns either, so this always works a charm.

after you have sewn two squares together, simply trim them back to a set amount. only marginally, but by cutting it back the same after every square, you are guaranteed to get the same every time, just incase you go a little out- does that make sense?

way to go on your second quilt!

Heather Cameron said...

Hi Kate
What a pretty quilt you have made! Bravo. No surprise really, look at your adorable animals.

becka said...

Look at you, Miss Quilter! This one is just as lovely as the first, well done! I'm working on one at the moment but I'm terrified of the binding. Was it tricky?

Pinecone Camp said...

Ok. I really want a quilt! I love this one Kate!

the southern hostess said...

So cute! You are so talented.

leslie said...

kate.
i can't believe you have already made your second quilt. crazy. i love your fabric choices. and your pattern.
whoohoo!

timidowl said...

kate, i love your quilt, it is beautiful!

kirsten said...

oh, so, so sweet. i love it! you are good! lucky little scarlet.

Anonymous said...

baby scarlet loves loves LOVES her quilt kate; it's on the rocking chair in her room and I think of you every time I see it.
you did a wonderful job and it means the world to me.
thank you a thousand times for making something so beautiful and sharing it with her.
love you! sandraxo